Preparing Your Home
While every property has good
points, most have aspects that would benefit from improvement. With a
little thought and energy you can make the most of the good points and
ensure you home looks its absolute best for potential purchasers.
selling your home, first impressions are extremely important, and this
is your chance to makesure your home stands out from the rest and makes a
lasting impression. You want people to walk away from your property
already imagining themselves living there!
Here are some tips to help you when preparing your home for sale:
clutter helps areas to appear more spacious and allows purchasers to
visualise their belongings in your home. Clear off everything on kitchen
counters. Think of this process as a head start on the packing you will
eventually need to do anyway. Organise cupboards and wardrobes too.
Rent A Storage Unit
every home shows better with less furniture. Remove pieces of furniture
that block paths and walkways and put them in storage. Leave just
enough furniture in each room to showcase the room’s purpose with plenty
of space to move around. You don’t want buyers scratching their heads
and saying “What is this room used for?”
your home is already empty at the time it will be showcased, you may
want to consider having your home professionally 'dressed'. This
involves a professional assessing your home and its interior design
needs. They will arrange furniture and a wide range of accessories
including artwork, cushions, plants, towels and rugs, to make sure your
home looks its best for potential purchasers.
Make Minor Repairs
- Replace cracked floor or outside tiles;
- Repair holes in walls;
- Fix leaky faucets;
- Fix doors that don’t close properly & kitchen drawers that jam;
- Consider painting your walls neutral colours, especially if you have grown accustomed to colourful walls;
- Replace burned-out light bulbs;
- Replace any worn bedspreads.
Make The House Sparkle!
- Wash windows inside & out;
- Rent a pressure washer and spray down sidewalks & exterior;
- Clean out cobwebs;
- Polish chrome faucets & mirrors;
- Dust furniture, ceiling fan blades & light fixtures;
- Replace worn rugs or simply remove them;
- Hang up fresh towels;
- Clean & air any musty or pet smelling areas.
Check Curb Appeal
- Keep the sidewalks cleared;
- Mow the lawn;
- Paint faded window trims;
- Tidy grounds & gardens;
- Make sure visitors can clearly read your house number.
The Final Check List Before Viewings
- Open blinds & curtains;
- Open windows to let in fresh air;
- Check your flower arrangements, make sure they are fresh and attractive;
- Turn on lights;
- Display your best towels in the bathroom;
- Clean & straighten rugs;
- Empty rubbish bins;
- Pick up any clothes;
- Deodorise pet areas and secure pets;
- Vacuum & dust each room;
- Tidy grounds & garden.